Sunday, October 13, 2013

Shellburg Falls Hike

I woke up this morning at 8:06 am and thought to myself, "You woke up so early. You can get up and get started with the day." Then all of the sudden I looked at the clock and it said 10:22 am. I swear I blinked and I was back asleep. Does that happen to you? 

I convinced Brittany to go on a hike with me. I had wanted to go to Silver Creek Falls but she came up with a better idea.... a waterfall in the Santiam canyon and one that neither of us had been to. I had looked on Google maps for directions, jotted some notes down and we jumped into my car.

Once we reached our destination, per the directions from Google, it was a dead end so we had to go off of memory on where else we could try to make it to access road. I turned onto HWY 22 and only had to drive one block to the next road. The guy behind was a jerk and honked at me. I have self admitted road rage and said fuck you to him and his stupid car. I think that makes us even.

Once we arrived and Brittany help navigate my car into a tight space we headed towards the falls.


There were lot of these because of....
these.
 This was our view for most of the hike up to the falls.
 Our 1/2 way marker.
 First sighting of water!
Looking down at the valley. 
 The sign kept us going further than our first glimpse of water.
We had to navigate these huge stairs. I should have taken of picture of 
me on them for you to understand how large they were.
First glimpse at the water!
 We made it!

 Love the fall colors!
The leaves were coming down but I couldn't get a picture with the leaves falling so Brittany decided to help me out and throw some leaves in the air!
 We moved in a little closer.



 The Shellburg Falls is a carbon copy of the lower south falls 
at Silver Creek Falls if I do say so myself. 
  Once we made it to the falls a lovely family was enjoying the view. 
They had three golden retrievers who were very friendly. Can you see them in the background? Silly dogs! The owner was kind enough and took a picture of us.
How is this for a small world…. One of the dogs, ‘Fisher’ is getting weekly cancer treatments at OSU where Brittany’s husband, Kevin, is studying at. Kevin and ‘Fisher’ know each other!

 I hiked down to the water level. It was so loud with the rushing water but amazing all at once.


The sun started to set on way back.

Our last view of the water. 


One the way back down the trail we came across the cows again. This time they were munching on hay. I decided to play hey cow with them. It’s a game Brittany taught me that was passed down from her parents…. You get my point. Anyway, you yell “HEY COW!” and see how many cows will look at you. Each look is one point. I got five points. 

On the way home we needed to stop in Stayton for a bathroom break. Dairy Queen it was. I got a pumpkin pie blizzard… where have you been all of my life??? It was seriously heavenly! We stopped at the store on our way home to pick up stuff for dinner. While dinner was cooking I headed outside to my car and was met by these kitties. They are the neighborhood cats that Kevin and Brittany look after. 
The orange and white one in the middle is 'Mob boss'. The one in the back that is white with a fluffy grey/black tail is 'Oreo' and the Siamese looking one is 'Scar face'. They are spoiled rotten here!

We made vegan cheese out of an assortment of ingredients! I was going to blog about the experience but it was our first time making the cheese and we need to perfect it before I share it with you. While eating dinner we watched a vampire movie. I left early because I don't like scary stuff. Anywhoo, tomorrow is Monday and we will see what it has in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment