Saturday, October 19, 2013

Green Acres Farm Sanctuary

Tomorrow I'm getting together with ALL of my immediate family for my sister's birthday. So, in preparation of the get together I made my sister a birthday cake today. I asked what flavors/colors she wanted her cake to be. She said yellow cake with fudge frosting. For as long as I can remember she has loved this combination. 

After talking to my sister I needed to come up with a design/theme and settled on an owl saying "who's 28?" I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few items for decorating her cake and the cashier giggled at me for putting 3 orange colored Mike'n'Ikes in a bag from the bulk section. I explained to her that I had to some how make a beak for my owl. Well the Mike'n'Ikes would not weigh on the scale so she had to place a penny on the scale which finally showed up as 3 cents.

I also decided that since I would be seeing my little brother I would make him some beef stew to take home. Like I've said before he is everyone's favorite, including mine. I used carrots, celery, garlic, onions, potatoes, beef stew meat (that's what the butcher had labeled it), and beef broth. Thank heaven for crock pots! Before....
 And after. I ended up making almost 8 cups! 
While I was baking the birthday cake I talked to Brittany and Kevin and roped them into volunteering with me at the animal sanctuary later on. Remember this, my sister wanted charity work done for her birthday present. I also chatted with Nicole for quite some time. Every time I talk to her it's like we pick up where we left off, granted we did just talk the day before!
While the cakes cooled off I made chocolate fudge frosting.
Once the cakes were cooled I iced the middle.
My sister requested little bits of chocolate in the icing and to save myself frustration of trying to smoothly frost the cake I decided to add the little bits of chocolate to only the filling part.
The mini chocolate chips all squished into the fudge frosting.
 Then I stacked on the second layer and frosted the sides.
After sticking the cake in the fridge for an hour I then frosted the whole thing.
Then came time to decorate it. I really need a better piping set but for now it worked out alright. I used slivered almonds on the body and the orange Mike'n'Ike. A few things are not level but oh well.
The completed cake with Mike'n'Ike beak!
I headed to Brittany's house to pick them up for our volunteer day at the animal sanctuary. We had to stop at a drive through on our way because Kevin hadn't eaten lunch and Brittany needed coffee to wake up from her nap. Once we got there we all had to sign waivers and fill out a questionnaire.
 The first thing(s) we saw at the sanctuary.... PUPPIES!!!
 We started out our work time by getting wheel barrels, 
pitch forks, and shovels. 
We then took all of the items to the barn to muck out the duck's inside pen.
 Using my handy dandy pitch fork to get rid of the old straw.
 Once the old straw was placed in the wheel barrels and then dumped onto a 
compost pile we placed fresh straw down.
 Shaking out the flake.
 The ducks were so happy to be back inside with fresh straw!
 Looking for bits of wheat in the straw.
 Brittany stepped inside the pen and the ducks were like "hey, what are you doing in here?"
 Brittany and Kevin mucked out the turkey's pen. Brittany is using flakes to stuff the gap in the pen. The barn was previously used for dairy cows so the gap was needed to hose the barn down.
 Helping stuff the gap with flakes.
 The turkeys approve!

 Kevin feeding the turkey's their dinner.
 There are a few barn cats on the property. They are all very social and sweet.

 ALL of the animals like Kevin the best.... he's in his 
last year of veterinarian school.
 Hello chicky!
 It was time to let the goats and sheep into the barn for the evening.
 The pygmy goats need help with direction in walking towards to barn. 
So, I help guide this sweetie there.
 Kevin helping the other pygmy goat.
 Dinner time in the barn.


 The sheep were not fond of us at all.
 Before we left I had to see the puppies!

 Getting puppy kisses!

 Sweet babies!
 Saying hi to the donkey.
 Kevin giving the goat pets.
After we finished at the animal sanctuary.... oh here is a link to their page... we headed to Brittany and Kevin's house for dinner. To thank them for helping me today I made tacos, beans and Mexican rice for dinner. 

Then I headed home to shower (there was straw where straw should NOT be!) and relax for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow is another busy day but I'm thankful for a such a fulfilling day! 

While blogging I checked the stats page and guess what???? I'm now at over 1,000 views!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! 1,000 is so awesome in under two months!!! THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment