Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Zuppa Toscana Soup

Zuppa Toscana Soup

I borrowed the original recipe from: The Pioneer Woman 
but tweaked it a little bit. 

First off wash and thinly slice 10 to 15 red potatoes. I gave a variance 
because the potatoes at my grocery were either huge or super small.
Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and set aside. Now wash the pot 
so you can it again-only if you are like me and only have one large pot.
In September I froze some turkey sausage links for a later use. 
Well now is a good time. I also bought a large package of links.
I browned the sausage links with a whole chopped sweet onion. 
I also added one teaspoon dried oregano and 2 teaspoons crushed 
red pepper flakes to the pot.
Then I added two teaspoons better than bouillon with two cups water. Basically I added 2 cups chicken broth. I cranked the heat up and let everything cook for 15 minutes.
Then I reduced the heat to medium/low. The Pioneer Woman used whole milk 
but I used non fat milk. So, I added 2 cups non fat milk.
Then I added 4 cups half and half. It's a good thing I making 
this soup for my little brother and not for me-way to rich!
Then I washed and tore 15 leaves of kale and added them to the pot. 
The heat will quickly reduce the kale's size so don't worry the pot 
won't over flow-not yet at least!
Stir to combine everything.
Add all but a few potatoes back to the pot. I kept a few potatoes separate so I could mash them up to help thicken the soup. Cover and reduce the heat to low and let simmer while stirring occasionally for 10 minutes so everything can mesh and be happy.
After everything is all happy swirl in some heavy cream.
Stir and if you're tummy is ready dish up! I made this soup 
specifically for my little brother so I let it all cool and then poured 
the soup into freezer bags to freeze for him.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment