Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pumpkin Scones

As I sit here and type this I've been mulling over what has been bugging me all day... something has been gnawing at me making me cranky.....a sort of thorn in my side... then it finally dawned on me. LIGHT BULB! I didn't have coffee today. Geez Louise! How could I have skipped it? Well it's because I over slept so I was rushing around like a crazy person getting ready this morning. To add insult to injury the school buses are back. Dang buses. I just need to wake up earlier and all of this could have been avoided... rolls eyes.

Work was a typical day except for the last hour which snow balled very quickly into a mess! Having clear communication with everyone could have helped this situation from even happening but alas that would have been too easy and I think the universe thinks it's WAY more fun to stress me out. HA! Take that universe I have figured out your evil scheme! I do have to say that I work with talented people that make the stupid little things that come up a lot easier to deal with. Enough about work....

Once I got home I was able to talk my very sweet friend, Nicole, who lives way too far away! Boo! We chatted and filled each other in on everything. Later on I made pumpkin scones... yes you read that correctly... P U M P K I N! Don't drool on your computer that would be gross! So, I have made pumpkin scones a 100 different ways to Sunday but I FINALLY found the perfect recipe and because I'm feeling nice I will share it with you. I adjusted the recipe slightly so does that mean I can call it my own? I don't know but I'm gonna!

Pumpkin Scones

Makes 16 scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a large bowl sift together the following:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (basically already made cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves)
1/2 teaspoon salt 
Then add 1/3 cup dark brown sugar and stir to combine.
Now using a fork or if you are fancy use a pastry cutter to cut in 1/2 cup super de duper cold butter.
Mix until combined.

In a separate bowl combine the following:
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons milk
1 and 1/2 tablespoons dark molasses (THIS is the secret ingredient!!!)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree




   Wet stuff on the left. Dry stuff on the left.

Now the fun part dump the wet stuff into the dry bowl and combine it all together. Flour your work surface and dump the dough out. Knead it around a few times. You should see little bits of butter throughout. If not = you failed. Just kidding it will be ok but pop it in the fridge for a few minutes then knead it.


Using a rolling pin roll the dough out into a rectangle approximately 8 X 10 inches.



Now only because I decided I wanted pizza instead of scones get your pizza cutter ready... hehe. Don't listen to me.... silly me!



Using the pizza cutter cut your dough just like above, except make your your prettier!



Arrange the scones on your pan that has been lightly greased. Make yours a lot nicer than mine horribly disfigured arrangement. I originally had 8 on the pan and they were all pretty but then it donned on me that I would have to place them on a cooling rack which if you have ever been to my apartment you know I don't have counter tops.... only my little kitchen butcher block cart so they ALL had to be baked at once thus the craziness above. Phew, now that we covered that back to the recipe!



Bake scones at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until when you jab a fork into the middle it comes out clean. While the scones are baking twiddle your thumbs or you can make the glazes.... yes plural! In a bowl mix together 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 to 4 tablespoons milk. You want a runny consistency. This will be glaze numero one. In yet another bowl mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice until combined. Glaze numero two will be thicker than glaze numero one. Transfer the scones onto a cooling rack that has parchment paper, wax paper or aluminum foil under neath the cooling rack.... you will see why soon. Once the scones have cooled you can either spread glaze numero one over the tops of the scones or you can be like me and dunk them in and then place them on the rack so the glaze drips off. See below. *I used wax paper under my cooling rack*



Once the scones have all had their glaze numero one bathes let them sit for 15 to 20 minutes so the glaze has a chance to get nice and cozy with the scones. Now take glaze numero two and make pretty designs on top of glaze numero one. Or if you are feeling fancy pour glaze numero two into one of these babies:



See how pretty they look! 




One more of these babies: 





If you are able to resist the urge let them sit for another 15 to 20 minutes to set. Then if there are any left place in an air tight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment