Tuesday, September 17, 2013

No name soup

We had a staff meeting today. Yours truly, me, made everyone cake in a mug. By make I mean nuked 'em in the microwave. Basically it's one bag of angel food cake mix and one bag of chocolate cake mix mixed together. We'll call that concoction cake mix. So, you take your mug and dump in 3 tablespoons cake mix and 2 tablespoons water. Mix and nuke in the microwave for 1 minute. I ended up making 14 of these babies and topping them with ice cream and caramel and/or chocolate sauce. My boss provided the ingredients, I nuked 'em and together we all inhaled them! It was a team effort!

After work I stopped by my house to chop up a bunch of veggies for soup. I went to Karina's (one of my co-workers/friend/she gave me peaches=HAPPY me) house for dinner. She made homemade bread which was AMAZING and I made soup. We decided to open a restaurant and by we I mean I decided that we should! 


I have made this sort of soup four times already in the past two weeks. I'm just saying... my soups are THE BEST! Maybe I have a big head....nah... my soups are seriously just that good! I'm going to share the recipe with you. It's not really a recipe because I just dump stuff in the pot and then mix it all together. Here's the basics of it anyway:

In a large pot pour some extra virgin (must have been REALLY well behaved! HA!) olive oil and crank up the heat. Add 1 whole chopped yellow onion, 3 large carrots sticks that have been roughly chopped, 5 celery stalks chopped, 4 minced garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Heat this up until the onions are golden and the other veggies are soft. Approx 15 minutes. Don't worry about making any of the pieces the right size because this whole thing is going to be blended. However, the smaller the pieces the faster the cooking time!



Then add eight cups chicken broth. I used the bouillon cubes this time because it's what I had on hand. Dump in 6 red potatoes that have been chopped. (Peeling potatoes is against MY religion. I don't like wasting my time on them! I always use red potatoes but if you want to waste your life away then go ahead and peel them) Plop a lid on this and crank up the heat. Let it boil until everything is soft. Approx 25 minutes. 


Once everything is soft and the house smells yummy taste the liquid to see if anything needs more water/seasoning/whatever. At this point you can go straight to the food processor OR you can go up a notch.

For the kicking it up a notch: I added half of a block of cream cheese (approx 4 ounces), 1/3 stick butter, 1/4 cup flour, and a few splashes of heavy cream. I'm pretty sure these ingredients make my soup THE BEST!

It doesn't matter if the above yumminess doesn't quite mix in well with the soup because you are now going to pour this hot liquid deliciousness into a food processor and very carefully combine until smooth. You may have to do this in several stages. I ended up adding some corn starch to help thicken this up. More potatoes or flour would have also done the trick. 



Once the soup is all blended enjoy with a piece of Karina's homemade bread and call it a day. 


*the white shiny blob on the lower left of my soup is the flash from my camera*

I don't know what to call this soup..... 
blended potato soup?
creamy vegtable soup?
fall soup?
suggestions?

Oh and play with this cutie!



No comments:

Post a Comment