Monday, January 20, 2014

Desk up-cycle

One of my former co-workers used the term 'up-cycle' a lot because she would take unwanted items and make them functional once again. So, I'm going to say she invented the term and now I'm borrowing it. You really needed to know all of this, right?

So, I received this desk a while back.... remember this. Well, I got a free desk for my new apartment.  The desk was in storage and had several large scratches all over it. I should have taken a better before shot but trust me the desk was in need of a new paint job.

I should also mention that I made several calls to my Dad for advice as far what grit of sand paper to use and how many coats of paint and so forth. I'm glad I called him as I had no idea I needed to use a layer of primer... that could have been bad!

Now, back to the before shot...

All disassembled. Thank you power tools!
All sanded down. I know the the piece on the left is much more sanded down than the others and that's because it's the desk surface so I wanted to make it was very smooth.
All wiped down and ready for the primer.
Primer on and drying.
It was way too cold/humid so I had to move the whole project inside. Before I moved it all inside I did a lite sanding and wiped everything down once again.
First coat of paint.
Second coat of paint.
All dry and ready to be reassembled.
After I had reassembled the desk with thanks to Linda as I couldn't quite get one of the screws to cooperate with me I had to clean up my mess. Keeping it real folks! I'm being VERY sarcastic as this project was nearly mess free!
The finished project!
Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment