Thursday, January 9, 2014

Anniversaries

Today marks two anniversaries for me. 

Today is my seven year anniversary with my employer. As you know I switched departments in November but I know I made the right choice. I miss my former co-workers but the group I work with is just as awesome! Here's one of my favorite pictures of my former group. We were the cast of the Wizard of Oz for Halloween!

I haven't talked a whole lot about my up bringing on here a whole lot and maybe some day I will open up a little bit more but for now I'm keeping it limited. With that being said know that growing up I only had TWO men in my life who were wonderful, thoughtful, caring, respectful and loving. Those two men were my Grandpa and his son, my uncle John. All of the other men in my life at that time were jerks, dirt bags, abusive, manipulative, hurtful and down right scum. So, when I talk about how much I miss my Grandpa know that I have VERY few good men in my life and two years ago today I lost the best one. Today is also the two year anniversary of Grandpa's passing.

The day before I heard about my Grandpa taking a significant decline in health I went to a fun center with my friend Brittany and her husband Kevin for an evening of fun and laughs. Little did I know in this picture that the next day I would loose such an important person in my life. 
I received a call from my family that my Grandpa was very ill and he would be leaving this earth and continuing his journey into heaven very soon. I spent most of the morning crying, listening to music, feeling numb and alone. Once I was updated that he had passed peacefully with family surrounding him I knew he was at peace and in a much better place. My immediate family and I headed out a few days later to join the rest of my family for the funeral a few states away. 

Here's a link to my Grandpa's obituary

My Uncle John's wife, my lovely Aunt Macrina, her sister and I made all of the flowers for the funeral. It was nice to focus my energy into something productive.
 My siblings and I were able to spend time with my Grandma and offer her our love and support. My Grandpa taught us all to love one another.
 My Grandpa instilled in us a strong sense of work ethic. Here is my youngest cousin, Jacob, and my little brother, Brandon setting up the reception for after the funeral. The boys worked hard to get a task done.
 My Mom is the oldest of my grandparents' children. My siblings and I are some of the oldest out of all of us cousins. My Grandpa taught all of us to lead by example.
 This picture will forever be ingrained in my mind as a memory of true, honorable, caring men helping my Grandpa.
 I will also forever remember this moment as my little brother assisted my Grandma, just as my Grandpa showed us how serve others.
 My Grandpa also taught us the importance of family, just as this picture of all of my cousins swarming my Mom with a giant group hug demonstrates.
 I will forever live by the example that my Grandpa set for me. I know he was a true testament of what every man should be and for that I'm thankful that I had the very best one in my life.
 I love you forever and always Grandpa.

Love, 
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment